Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Mistake, A Closet and A Really, Really Great Mama


I might've been three years old. Maybe four.

I was at my aunts' house, and my parents were having Bible study upstairs. Since this house was like a second home to me, I was free to roam around until they were done.

Being me, ever curious, ever adventurous and ever exploring the unknown {Even at 4-years-old, apparently}, I was wandering around everywhere, opening closets, looking behind doors, etc.

I got to the basement and there was this huge Ikea-like wardrobe/closet thing. And being me, I just HAD to know what was inside.

So I reached my short, 4-year-old arms up to the handles made for adults.

And I pulled.

And I must've leaned backwards while still holding onto the handles, because before I knew it, the top of the closet was disconnecting from the wall.

11 years later, I still so clearly remember looking up, and going, "Dangit, it's falling."

I should've stepped to the side and just let it fall beside me, but of course, spur-of-the-moment, 4-year-old decision: I turned on my heel and ran.

And the closet was faster than me.

And BOOM, all light around went out, and I was stuck under this closet. I didn't go unconscious, so I was just laying there, flat on my face, in the dark, for what felt like forever, just wondering what on earth to do now.

And then suddenly, WHOOSH, all light came back, the closet was flipped beside me, and my mom's comforting arms were around me.

The Bible study had been going on at the top of the stairs, and my mom heard the crash, turned her head, then just flew down the stairs, and with one hand, flipped the closet off of me.

She tried to lift the closet to put it back up later on. She couldn't even get it off the floor.

There have been so many times in my life where I've done something stupid or totally unnecessary, or just simply found myself flat on my face in total darkness, and my mom always somehow finds the strength to help me find my way back to "light", again.

And I honestly couldn't be more thankful that God made her my mommy.

My mom is at every one of my basketball games, music performances, contests and school events cheering me on. And when I lose the ball, hit the wrong note, fumble my words or trip up, I look up and see her encouraging smile and I just keep on going.

My mom taught me that no matter what, God is always faithful and he always has a perfect plan. My mom taught how to find joy, even in the hard times, even in the times where all that is visible is sorrow.

My mom has a beautiful heart that breaks for the things that breaks God's heart. I'm so thankful that I have a mom that wouldn't let me live in the worst possible type of poverty - spiritual poverty.

My mom has taught me some of the most important lessons I've ever learned, and given me some of the most valuable gifts I've ever received.

I guess sometimes I forget how many sacrifices my mom has made for me, and how much she does for me. And I forget to say thank you.

But, Mommy, please know that I'll forever and ever and ever be thankful for you, you heart, your sacrifices, your strength, and your guidance. I love you!!! ♥

I don't know what I'd do if you left me/So please don't go away./Everything that you are is who I am, who I am today./So when you're lost and you're tired/When you're broken in two/Let my love take you higher/Cause I, I still turn to you. -Turn to You, Justin Beiber

People always say/I have a laugh like my Mother does./Guess that makes sense/She taught me how to smile when things get rough./I've got her spirit, she's always got my back./When I look at her I think/I wanna be just like that. -Like My Mother Does, Lauren Alaina

1000 Moms Project

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...