Monday, February 4, 2013

Can We Protect Some Innocence Around Here?!

I found myself in a discussion today about the absolute perfection of Beyonce.

Not gonna deny that the Lord gave that girl talent, but at a certain point in the discussion I'd had enough Beyonce-is-a-goddess, because...

"Yeah, well, she could've been wearing more, don't you think?"

And really, no girl in that group could look me in the face and disagree.

Because ladies, deep down, I think we still respect ourselves, right?

I realize this is blog post #45729456 that you've read about the skin shown during the Superbowl. At the risk of sounding like the prude Christian girl here, ladies [men you can sit this one out, but feel free to follow along], please hear me out for just a bit.

I know this issue is just as much guys' problem to solve, but I'm a girl and can't control the guys, but I have control over my decisions as a girl.

Girls, when did our self esteem drop to the point of short-shorts and plunging necklines?

Can we say that maybe guys who go for that aren't worth it anyways? Can we say that maybe we'd have stronger relationships - stronger love - if they weren't dictated by sexualized media but by respect for who God made us to be?

Yes, we are going to mess up. Yes, the temptation of easy love is hard to overcome. But maybe we could at least try?

Maybe if we stopped giving our utmost respect to women who don't even respect themselves enough to put on some clothes, society would function a bit better.

Ladies, it is so possible to feel beautiful without exposing yourself to the next century - don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

And when skin sells domain names and everything else... how disgusting is our society? Truly - can't we protect some innocence around here - of boys and girls?!

Because last night and everyday boys learn that those are the right girls to go for, and girls learn that that's the type of girl you have to be in order to be beautiful.

And if that's the way it is - I'd like a girl to come up to me, look me in the eye and tell me that displaying their body like that justified (I don't know - you tell me how to justify that).

I'd like to think we ladies still have some self-respect.

I know we ladies still have some self-respect because when I went on to make a dumb joke about Beyonce's clothes being stolen and then to say that she has no self-respect, no girl argued my point.

So here's what I'm trying to say here: Girls, our worth is so much deeper than any size written on any tag, or any amount of skin we're willing to show. 

Can we act like it, please?

4 comments:

  1. It is hard to feel beautiful sometimes. I had a hard time with it last year, and I found this verse-
    1 Peter 3:3-4 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.

    Great post. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great verse lizzie!

      yes, it is so tough sometimes. praying for you - keep shining!<3(:

      Delete
  2. Just reading through a few of your posts - and I'm really impressed! As a youth worker its so refreshing to see a young person taking a stand, sharing their passion, and expounding biblical truths.

    And you have a way with words on top of that. What a gift.

    Keep doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much aveleen! it really means a lot.
      thanks for being a light! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...